Splinting/crooked toe...How long can you wait after birth?

my_first_chicks_

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
I do not know how old my baby chick is. I posted earilier and got some really helpful responce, and did a little more reasearch and found out it needs to be done in the first few days before the bones harden. I have had my chicks for a week now.

She is an Oprington, approximatly 5-6 inches tall. Weighs less than 3/4 pound. I was going to splint her with my boyfriends help, but he said to leave it alone and I will do more harm than good since she is probably close to three weeks old and her bones have most likely hardened. (We are just guessing on the age).

I was able to bend her toes without her being distressed tonight, but I do not know how long before her bones harden and if we can splint without causing her pain. If anyone knows that would be great!

Thanks!

99.9% of all crooked toes are from turned-in hocks and have nothing to do with the toes at all. The chicken is no longer able to walk flat footed so the toes end up being bent.

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done about that or is she going to have theis life long regardless of splint?

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done about that or is she going to have theis life long regardless of splint?

Could you take a photo and post it? I had a hen that had curled toes on both feet from being spraddle legged as a chick. One leg was turned and rotated out further than the other so she hobbled around. She got around just fine and lived to be 18! It might be unsightly but as long as it serves the purpose.

My light brahma has a crooked toe but I just left it alone. She can perch and has no problem scratching the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom