Split beak, suggestions for healing? Anyone used tea bags and super glue?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MESOFRUFFEH, Sep 28, 2016.

1. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Well I have a hen, now named BB (Broke Beak), a few weeks ago I noticed that she had a split in her beak. I did some searching on the forums but was still unsure of what to do with her. I decided to trim each side, since the split was all splayed out and had gotten rather long. I used dog clippers and a nail file to smooth the edges. Last night I checked on the progress of the split and it's pretty much back to where it was, but I almost feel like it is splitting a little higher now.

[​IMG]
    This is her right after I trimmed up the long pieces on each side. It has grown back out again (I will see if I can get a pic tonight). She feels much thinner than my other girls (not TOO thin, just not as plump) and I can't help but feel it has something to do with her beak.

I was reading something about taking a tea bag and some super glue and making a patch to kind of hold things together while it grows back out, but I had so many questions to go along with that procedure lol. Do you just glue your piece on there as the beak is, or do you need to pull the two pieces together some and hold it that way until the glue dries? Do I need to separate her or can I leave her in with the rest of the girls? Should I keep trimming as it grows, will that help or hinder healing? It does seem like if it cracks much more it will be up into the quick. When I took this pic it was ALMOST to the quick and now it seems like its right there. I see a little spot where it looks like dirt has packed in to the top part of the crack, but it is under the top layer of her beak. Should I attempt to wash it out or leave it be? To be real honest I don't even know if I can get that dirt out.

I also read about using those plastic dog/cat claw covers, which would probably be perfect, but for some reason I feel like it won't be worth my time and money to go all the way to town to get some (they probably aint cheap either) only for them to keep falling off because it sounded to me like that is what it would do. I felt like I would have more luck with the tea bag patch?

Any suggestions?

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
  3. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I think that was one of the articles I read! I'm just not sure if I need to leave the beak as it is and apply a tea bag patch over the area to keep it from spreading outwards again, or if I need to pull the ends together and bring it more back to a point. I sure would hate to do that and it be painful for her, but not sure how well just a patch over the area would work? I might try to trim it tonight and get it back like it is in the pic above, then put the patch over it so as it grows it will stay together. Hopefully that will work. I am not sure how long the patch will stay on either. It seems to me like her using her beak is making things worse, I hate to separate her because they always seem so miserable and pace back and forth and tear up their combs when I have to do that, unless they are super sick!

I guess I will give this a whirl unless someone else who has dealt with this issue chimes in.... thank you @coach723 for the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by