split beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by X2Farm, Jul 22, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    So one of the RIR hens I acquired last week has a split beak. Just the tip of it, and it hasn't gotten worse, so I'm assuming she had this a while. I have noticed she hasn't been tryin to get the treats I've been hand feeding the flock (to help familiarize em with their new family) though she did fine the first couple days. Thought it might be beak sensitivity... She's eating everything else just fine and drinking fine. Fat, sassy and healthy!!!

I doubt theres anything I can do besides keep an eye on it...

I guess I'm just checking to see if theres anything that might help? [​IMG] I want all my girls (and Roo) to be happy [​IMG] and comfy, specially with the stress the last week and moving day comin up next week. [​IMG]

Edited to add- She's one of my laying hens, about 2 years old, from what the previous owner told me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  2. X2Farm

X2Farm Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Anyone?

I noticed its a lil bit worse then a week ago, though it hasn't bothered her eating or anything. Its been stressful moving and such the last week or so...

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm sure I read somewhere on here about someone glueing and taping a split beak to help it mend. I think it was maybe with some kind of fibreglass resin that they moulded into a nice 'beak' shape to replace a missing bit. Try searching 'split beak' and see if you can find anything...

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Also meant to say, can you post a photo of the beak?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by