1. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    So I have a 2 month old EE chick I have named Split Beak, for obvious reasons. When he first hatched I noticed his beak was ever so slightly off, and then over time it got worse and worse. He went out into the big pen for a while with all the other chickens, but just couldn't get the food he needed, so now he lives in the feed room where I can put feed in a pan/dish for him. He's become very friendly, but he's not growing at the same rate as the others. I wonder if he might just fail to thrive, I guess I just really need opinions on what to do with a chick like this . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I had two cross-beaks. On one, it was noticeable at just a few days old, the other, maybe at a few weeks. Both were able to eat, but one grew and the other did not. Probably, the small one couldn't really get enough food, although it pecked and scratched around and seemed to enjoy hanging around with the other chickens. I did not cull it, just to see if maybe it would grow, and kept trying different feed (mash seemed to work best). It only grew a little.
    At 10 weeks old, we found the cross-beak dead out in the run.
    The normal size cross-beak is now 12 weeks. Just today, I trimmed her beak slightly in hopes that she can eat better. I really hope she makes it. I wanted this Easter Egger (I guess cross-beak is common in this breed).

some people hand-feed this type of bird, but I don't have the time. It is really up to you what you want to do from here. If you are attached to the bird, and don't mind some special care, she might make it.
    Good luck.
    Robin

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe....I feel so badly for cross beaks. I had one (an Ameraucana) that was the sweetest girl. Hers was very crossed, like your girl, and I'd take her to the avian vet every 4 weeks for a major trimming. She would stand at the food bowl and eat constantly, I think because she just couldn't get enough in. Sadly, they typically do not live long. Mine lived long enough to lay eggs - she laid me about 6 gorgeous blue eggs, and then she passed away. I felt horrible, as she was quite thin when I found her. I think egg laying just took more out of her than she was able to keep up with. I wish you the best with your girl. Given my experience, if I ever have another one, I think I would opt to cull, as sad as that is.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have a scissor-beaked Easter Egger. Hers didn't become apparent until she was about 6 weeks old though. She's never had any trouble eating enough, it just takes her a LOt longer than everyone else to satisfy her nutritional requirements.

I'm concerned that your chick isn't growing at a normal rate. Unless she is hand-fed, she will probably starve to death. Poor little fuzzy butt.
    Good luck with her.
    This was Esther at 6 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    14 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    8 mos old:
    [​IMG]
    9 mos old:
    [​IMG]

5. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Oh, ADozenGirlz, your Esther gives me hope that my cross-beak Easter Egger may survive to lay eggs! [​IMG]

Here's ours at about 11 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Our other cross-beak, like storminthenight's, failed to grow, but survived for 10 weeks. I'm hoping this other one makes it. I ordered 3 Easter Eggers, hoping that at I'd have at least 2, but one is a rooster, the second is a cross-beak, and I have one that appears healthy.
    I'm really hoping to get some of those beautiful blue-green eggs![​IMG]

Robin

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:She's pretty. I hope she does well. The green egg in the middle of my avatar is from Esther. She was my first layer and is one of my most productive, reliable layers.
    Fingers crossed for yours. [​IMG]

7. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks! I enjoyed checking out your page, ADozenGirlz, and especially the HUGE egg that Esther laid! [​IMG]

Robin

8. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE has a cross beak similar to buckabucka's...but she is now 16 MONTHS old! She's been giving me lovely blue/green eggs since she was 22 weeks old. She did stop laying for a few months during the winter, right after she lost a sister EE to a hawk. But come spring, she was right back to production, giving me 3-5 eggs a week. She is a "flighty" bird, even compared to my remaining EE, but all I have to do is get the feed bucket out and she comes a runnin' [​IMG] While the other's enjoy free ranging, she's most often found back at the coop eating from the recently refilled feeder. She does waste a lot billing it out, but I think it's because it is difficult to eat well. She is definitely not light-weight, and is in fact quite a bit bigger than my other EE. If yours is able to eat well, great. But if he/she does not thrive, it is probably slowly starving itself [​IMG] Good luck with your little one!
    [​IMG]
    My three EE's (The white one became a hawks dinner [​IMG] )

9. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies [​IMG]
    My little ones beak was hardly noticable when she hatched, then got worse over time. Now that she lives in the feed room she's doing alot better, and does seem to have grown. I can also feel that she does get food in her 'belly', so I know she gets something at least.
    I actually recently rehomed all my beautiful EE's, this girls parents. I'm in nursing school and just dont have the time for them right now, and my stepdad just doesn't take good care of them, it was a hard decision, they were my favorite.
    This one stayed for obvious reasons, she will have a home here for as long as she lives.

One question, how do you hand feed? the best way I've found to feed her so far is a deep dish/bowl.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:A deep bowl is the best option unless you have the time time to hand feed her every day. I wish you the best of luck...some cross-beaks do well and thrive..others not so much. Mine didn't regardless of hand feeding and deep bowls. We just couldn't get enough food in him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by