Split chicken community in my backyard. Help please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ojedafarm, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ojedafarm

ojedafarm New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I raised 4 baby chicks this spring and lost 2. One I just recently lost to an Opossum (that we found and relocated). After that incident I was only left with two chickens and decided to get more. So I adopted a pair of Silkies that were also raised together as chicks. I took them home with their own coop and had since been trying to integrate the two pairs. My original larger chickens are a Wyandotte and an Orpington. So they are a lot larger than the silkies. I have been housing them in separate coops because my larger hens are such bullies.
    Just last week we had another loss, one of my silkies was killed in my yard (We think a bird of some sort) So I'm left with only one small silky. Who is currently ALONE in her own coop. Now this week the bigger ones are ganging up on her and I'm unsure what to do.

Will I ever be able to house them in the same coop/run? Will they ever accept her as part of their "pack"?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel so awful since she is all alone every night and even during the day she is always just running away from them. I am noticing she is trying to get closer with them, trying to eat with them. But my original hens are not having any of it.

My daughter looooves all the chickens and has since been babying the lonely silky. I'm almost to a point of getting a bird diaper and bringing her in just to give her a rest from my "bullies".

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Take the less aggressive of the 2 and put her in the silkie's coop.
    Let them work it out and then swap them out with the other one for a few days. Then put the more aggressive bird in with the new friends.

The more space available the better.

3. ojedafarm

ojedafarm New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Ok, so the silkies coop is fairly small. Do you think it would work if I let the more aggresive hen free-range for the day and put the Silkie in the larger coop/run with the other less aggressive? Or should I make them sleep together too?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's not just a single smaller bird joining 2 bigger birds but also who's home the new birds are invading. That's why taking one of the bigger birds into strange quarters will make it work better.

No matter what one does, chickens unfamiliar with one another still need to work out a pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by