Split/Cracked Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JSutherland, Sep 21, 2011.

1. JSutherland

JSutherland New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    Our hen's bottom beak is fully split to the flesh. The bleeding has gone down and we are rinsing regularly with hydrogen peroxide to avoid infection. She isn't showing any signs of discomfort but when she opens her mouth wide or drinks water the bottom beak splays in two directions.

My questions are:
    - can she function with a split beak and will the flesh heal without constant irritation?
    - will the beak regrow and repair it self
    - we were thinking of superglueing a splint to hold the two parts together - is this effective
    - other than the chance of infection is there anything else we should look out for

We currently have her separated from the rest of the flock any advice is very appreciated.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have one that has the top split and 2 days ago I super glued it and filed it and she is doing great.I will have to keep it filed down now. good luck!

3. mrslup

mrslup New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    I am so glad I found this post. My question is, is there any ideas what causes it. I noticed one of my Barred Rock girls with a very overgrown beak today that was split down the middle. I was able to trim it back and make it look right but it's still split. Is there any illness or anything that can cause this, or is it more likely that she has suffered some sort of injury?
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by