Split Hatch...

Brillig

Chirping
May 20, 2016
So, I got myself in a bit of a pickle...I bought all of my hatching eggs at the same time so they would all hatch together...Unfortunately one of the sellers flaked, and (as a result) I ended up getting a set of eggs about ten days into my current hatch...Like a fool, I just plopped them in the incubator, not thinking about how I would handle the first hatch...Now, with just days to go, I'm trying to figure out the best way to hatch and incubate in the same incubator...

Will the younger eggs survive the higher humidity while the older eggs hatch???

Aside from partitioning the incubator so the hatchlings don't disturb the still incubating eggs, is there anything I'm missing???

Do you have a turner in there or do you hand turn? I know from a very bad experience that hatching with an automatic turner is not a good thing. :(

Many, many, many people use automatic turners without problems, but I wouldn't hatch in them, either.

Brillig, what kind of incubator do you have? I'd stop turning day 18 or so but not up humidity until you see a pip. Then when your first hatch is over, drop humidity back down until you need to lock down the second set.

Many, many, many people use automatic turners without problems, but I wouldn't hatch in them, either.

Brillig, what kind of incubator do you have? I'd stop turning day 18 or so but not up humidity until you see a pip. Then when your first hatch is over, drop humidity back down until you need to lock down the second set.

To clarify: I use an automatic turner for incubation with no problems. With my work schedule it is actually a huge help. But I removed it a day late and an early hatcher got caught in it one time so I am now super careful to make sure I get it taken out on time. I would not leave a turner with your eggs that are ready to hatch, but they are great for incubating.

Brilliant idea FridayYet...As for the type of incubator...It's a Blu Rite Farm 3600...It has an egg turner...I'll remove that tonight...I'll partition the incubator to keep hatchlings from disturbing the younger eggs and I'll wait until pip to boost the humidity...I think this may be a moot point, as the seller that I bought the newest eggs from seems to be a little disreputable...Recent reviews of his eggs on eBay are showing that none of them develop (this feedback wasn't there when I bought them)...It's day eight and all eggs are clear with one possible exception...Seller won't replace eggs and I already left good feedback because he was easy to deal with until now...

Brilliant idea FridayYet...As for the type of incubator...It's a Blu Rite Farm 3600...It has an egg turner...I'll remove that tonight...I'll partition the incubator to keep hatchlings from disturbing the younger eggs and I'll wait until pip to boost the humidity...I think this may be a moot point, as the seller that I bought the newest eggs from seems to be a little disreputable...Recent reviews of his eggs on eBay are showing that none of them develop (this feedback wasn't there when I bought them)...It's day eight and all eggs are clear with one possible exception...Seller won't replace eggs and I already left good feedback because he was easy to deal with until now...
LOL - Just passing on wisdom I probably got from someone else.
smile.png

Sorry to hear about your latest batch, that really sucks. Hope that last one develops!

Back
Top Bottom