1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Split Lavender Cochin Large Fowl Project - Pictures

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jul 5, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    These are from a Lav Orp x Black Cochin Large Fowl breeding - first generation split lavender cochins. Lots of work to go! The Black Cochins we are using are from an all black bloodline. We need to work on type and feathering, plus a few more odds and ends. Here's a few pictures of a suspected cockerel and a pullet from our first hatch. They wouldn't hold still long enough for a standing shot, so these will have to do for now. They are growing well and filling out nicely. More hatching this month! I will not be offering eggs from these until I get the quality of the offspring as correct as possible. It will probably be next spring or summer before I will feel confident enough to offer a few eggs and maybe some started cockerels for sale. [​IMG]

COCKEREL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PULLET
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

2. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Update 10-11-2010: Pictures taken today of the same pair above, plus some younger siblings. The cockerel has turned out to be more orpington-ish than I would like and he also has some lavender/silver leakage coming through. The pullet is looking more like a Cochin, but still has the stiff Orpington-type tail. I think she looks pretty good to be a F1 bird.

I'm trying to decide if I should cross these to one another to get lavender offspring and then breed the resulting pullets back to our Black Cochin roo to improve type or try something different. Suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I can't tell you what you should do, except give it a try...what have you got to lose?? [​IMG] Lavender Cochins.... [​IMG]

4. tingle

tingle Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    I would put the hen to the lavendar roo to get get your lavendars and 3 quarter orpington

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    She's working on cochins. [​IMG] Yes, cross the siblings and get to lavender. Don't forget they both carry the cochin and orp genes, so siblings could be all over the place in size. Grow them out well before selecting your next breeders. I would do lav hens back to a black cochin roo and a lav cochin type roo back to black cochin hens and see which side gives you the best results. You may find you'll get some good and some bad on both sides, so will give you better pickins for your next generation.

6. tingle

tingle Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    :lol:sorry!

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    There's an old saying: you build the barn before you paint it. You have a long way to go to get to Cochin type.

8. danhonour

danhonour Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    They put me in mind of Langshans. Maybe you could make Lavender Langshan istead or along with large Lavender Cochins?Something to think about.

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Random pictures taken 11/10/2010 of the group. Six total, 3 cockerels, 3 pullets. The first time I've had a perfect 50/50 split with chicks. I'm still uncertain what I really want to do with these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for kicks, the cocky little roo picking a fight with our turkey hen. Oh, yeah, the turkey won.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by