"Split" Peafowl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by royaltypeafowl8, Aug 14, 2013.

1. royaltypeafowl8

royaltypeafowl8 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Hi, I am new and was wondering what "split to" means in regards to breeding peafowl. I bred my oaten male to my IB female. I had one yellow chick and one brown so far. I am wondering also what a IB split to oaten will look like? Will it mature to a regular looking IB or have some different traits on it? I know it said I will get oaten females and IB split to oaten males. Thanks in advance, still learning here :)

2. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    "Split to" means the chick genetically has both colors from the parents,but the chick will only look like one parent,so the other parents color that is not visible is what's called "split to" The color the bird is not showing,but has in it's genetic toolbox can still show that color if the bird is bred to a bird that has the phenotype color your bird is split to. Genotype is the genetics of the bird,phenotype is what the bird actually looks like,,in the case of your IB being split to Cameo b/s,,your bird is genetically 1/2 IB and 1/2 Cameo b/s but phentypically an IB looking bird. The chick that looks yellow is a b/s chick,,your darker chick that is phenotypically showing IB will look like a normal IB,even tho is has 1/2 cameo b/s genes.

3. royaltypeafowl8

royaltypeafowl8 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Thanks so much for the reply that makes sense now. So my yellow chick will be a b/s? Reading I thought it would be an cameo b/s.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by