splitting firewood UGH

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shadowpaints, Sep 24, 2010.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i cant believe its time for that again!! while i LOVE the lower electric bill from using the fireplace to heat instead of the furnace, im not to fond of splitting wood.. LOL go figure.

we go through 10 cords a winter
    we had the first 4 delivered last week and i am attempting to get it split and stacked before the next load in another week.

man i really wish hubby wasnt a long haul truck driver.. then he could do it all! haha!

who else uses wood to heat their home?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    We do, too. Down here we only go through about 3 cords of wood per season and DH splits it all or we buy it split. A few weeks ago he dropped an oak tree that needed to come down and he's just about done splitting it. We're hoping to get a log-splitter when they're discounted this spring.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    My youngest son loves to split wood,not sure why.
    Any way in 3 days I got 7 truck loads of wood most by myself,we heat mainly with wood in winter.
    Alot of it was allready in wood burner size allready(get it free from Amish lumber mill).
    I will proubly get 3-6 more truck loads just to be sure.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  5. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Wow -- I admire your strength. Because of carpal tunnel and tendonitis, I couldn't begin to think about splitting it. This summer we had several huge trees cut down, and there are numerous large pieces of wood in the yard yet to be split. DH really wants a log splitter, but is dragging his feet about buying one because he keeps expecting the price to go down. We don't heat strictly with wood, but it's great to supplement with it. We have a Vermont Castings stove, but it's difficult to keep a fire going without constant attention. Of course, it was 100 degrees here one day this week, so we're a long way from having a fire.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    We just cut an oak down 2 weeks ago and got it split and stacked about a week ago! I can't imagine splitting by hand. We have a 25 ton splitter!! LOVE my fires in the winter!!

Missi

7. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I have a splitter but for good straight oak I prefer the maul. I only use the splitter on really big blocks or really limby ones that I can't crack with the maul. I think using the splitter actually hurts my back more. After wrestling around those big blocks and staying bent over so much to reposition each half, quarter ect my back really lets me know it don't appreciate it. [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:What kind of wood do you burn?

9. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    We heat the whole house with a wood stove insert. Normally cut and hand split all our own wood here. Athough did breakdown and rent a splitter for a day to clean up a couple big ashes we had down that would have severly limited parking for graduation this spring. I actually kinda like splitting wood, when its cool out. I can always tell if it has been too long since I last split, by my back. If my back starts bothering me, a little splitting really builds your core and helps my back tremendously. Never ever had a problem, but always had large raised bed gardens that I turned every year with a garden fork, so that helped alot. Since we moved here, too wooded for a garden, so splitting wood is a good alternative work out.

10. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    we burn mostly pine... BUT some times we have some extra wood around from hubby taking trees down in his 'spare' time lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by