1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splitting up hatching fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewChickNJ, Aug 12, 2013.

1. NewChickNJ

NewChickNJ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    I have an old English who is brooding some marans and frizzle eggs -total of 10 eggs. We are on day 17, she's doing great. Another hen I have went broody and she is sitting tight on fake eggs for a week.

Is the any benefit to splitting the clutch? Are 2 mom as better than one?

They are a free range flock of 7 total hens. I plan the chicks to free range a few days after hatching. Mellow group of hens. Candling at 10 days shows the eggs are good.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I would give the other hen some of her eggs. I had a hamburg go broody a few days ago and its so hot out that with her and the heat the eggs where boiled. So I gave her some chicks from the incubator. She accepted them even after sitting on the eggs for just 2 days. They are doing great (sorry I kind of got off topic).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. x2 except be careful of how many eggs you take from one to give to the other i replace the ones i take, with dummy eggs so her egg count remains the same

good luck [​IMG]

4. NewChickNJ

Jul 19, 2012
    Ugh, just went out to steal eggs... There was a dead chick in the dog pen with original broody hen. Not fluffed out but eyes and brain was eaten ( sorry to be graphic!) I am upset but more than anything am worried about the rest. I read this may be due to mice or rats which may be possible, it's an old barn that the dog crate is in.

Should I move them all now? The other hens brooding spot is in the newer barn. I ended up moving half. Read the post about replacing with fake ones too late...

Sad.

That is 3 days early!

5. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't worry about the number of eggs fake vs. swapped real. I usually use 4 fake eggs until I get a broody hen, I then let her sit on the 4 eggs for a week, just to make sure she will stay and then swap them for 7-8 eggs. I have never had a problem with the hen not accepting all of the eggs.

Sorry to hear about your dead chick. I hate the disappointment of them being killed after waiting such a long time for the eggs to hatch (Ok, 21 days isn't that long, but it feels that way when you are waiting). Last year I had 7 chicks and around 4 weeks of age, 6 of them were killed by an owl.

I wish you luck with the remaining eggs/chicks.

6. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I would move them as soon as possible.

7. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Were you able to save the other eggs from the unknown predator and did the 2nd hen accept the eggs?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. NewChickNJ

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi all!
    So yes, I moved ALL the eggs that night. I have 2 other broodies that i split the clutch under just to improve my odds as they are both young - a year old.Today is hatch day (day 20). And I have 5 healthy fluffy chicks and 4 others chirping in the eggs but haven't pipped out yet! The waiting and not breaking the eggs early is SO hard. Patience is a virtue :)

Thank you guys for everything.

Having my girls hatch out eggs has been such a fun except for the one beheaded chick. All smiles!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by