1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

'Splodey eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Highland Moongazer, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    I just had some eggs, on day 3, explode... is that normal? How old does an egg usually take to get to that point?

I have a feeling I got some seriously tainted/old eggs, as they also caused a black mold on the bottom of the incubator (explosions and mold were overnight).

2. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Not sure what the specific cause is here, but definitely SOMETHING is wrong... Where did you get the eggs from? Where did you get the incubator from? Have you double-checked the controls (temp and humidity)?

I'd guess that a "Splodey" egg is at LEAST 2 weeks old in an un-refrigerated environment.

Overnight mold is a sign of some serious humidity issues, and an incubator that was not clean to start with.

3. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Humidity had been ~35-40% until I found them this morning. Incubator had been soaked in bleach water for a full 24 hours, then dried (I had a bad hatch from this person before, so I thought I'd had some bacteria in my bator so I super soaked it... doesn't seem to be the case, though).

Eggs came from a popular seller on eBay, two thermometers/hygrometers, 5th run for the incubator and no other problems I've had except for the eggs from this seller.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
  4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I had an egg that was weeping this time. I would expect it to weep or smell before it exploded!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by