Spoiled chicken?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beckymca, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Beckymca

Beckymca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Can you spoil a chicken, lol? This is my first time owning chickens and a little 6 week old pullet and I have become friends, she sleeps in the bend of my elbow as the others play, if I put her down she bumps her chest on my foot or hops up and down til I pick her up. She really loves hanging out in my lap or arms. I enjoy bonding with her but wonder if it is a bad idea to keep holding her, What do you think? Thanks Becky

Here's a pic of her in my arms, I named her Snuggles, she really is a love.

[​IMG]

2. Tikka

Tikka Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    We were afraid to handle our chicks too much, and once they moved outside they always ran away from us. So I guess I've vote for treasuring the companionship. When we have to catch them to clip wings or something, it is utterly exhausting and traumatic. Though I think it's getting better now that they squat.

3. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Funny how they come running for treats, but bend down like you're going to pick 'em up? No way! And those suckers are FAST! LOVE LOVE LOVE the Squat!!!!!

4. Beckymca

Beckymca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Snuggles doesn't run, lol... she softly coos til I pick her up, she grooms herself in my arms, tries to eat my freckles and loves just hanging out, dozing in and out. If a bug flies by she perks right up and watches it but makes no effort to get down. Sometimes when I put her down she'll go play and mingle, but if I go to leave she follows me to the fence line. I love it but wonder if I'll be lugging a 15 pound chicken around in a year or so, lol!!!

5. tabetta

tabetta New Egg

May 30, 2010
    i just looooved your post!!! first timer here as well and i knew that i had over done the spoiling when they wouldnt eat dandellions off the coop floor, only out of my hands

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by