1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spoiled chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Concerned01, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Concerned01

Concerned01 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    not sure what to do, I have 3 chickens all different types. Different personalities and not one will quit pooping where she sleeps.
    I have a hen house I got a murdochs for two hens when the were little.
    Now they are in a shed (coup) with Hen house inside it, heat, red light, and straw. Two
    Lay in the hen house, nasty the other has begun to lay on the bale of straw that is
    Unbundled.
    They have straw on the floor, I clean everyday. They go outside when not freezing. I have to keep them healthy despite themselves.
    They won't go near a nesting box, except to walk through it.
    Where did I go wrong?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You did nothing wrong - chickens poop wherever they want.

3. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    try putting a golf ball, nest egg, or some small round object in the nesting boxes to see if that will help encourage them to lay there.

4. PAChickenMom

PAChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    NW Pennsylvania
    Yes - one pooped on the back of my neck this afternoon as I cleaned their coop while some of them were roosting.

5. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    How old are they?
    Do they have a bar to roost on?

6. Concerned01

Nov 9, 2013
    No roosting bars yet? Have to upgrade the shed first for snow. They are 8 months old. I did put fake eggs in but they moved them. Betha hogged all three fake eggs, so not sure what I need to do.
    Have materials for roosting just have to get the other stuff done first.
    BTW do your chickens growl at you? Mine also make happy noises but they growl at me sometimes. I just talk back.

7. Concerned01

Nov 9, 2013
    Ok, gotta go tuck in the girls. They have a cloth over their door, it a security blanket thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by