1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spoiled chickies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherylhoner, Nov 11, 2008.

1. cherylhoner

cherylhoner New Egg

Sep 17, 2008
    Minnesota
    My girls are 23 weeks and only 1 of 15 is laying. I was reading about feeding them warm mash and oatmeal and other treats so I decided this weekend to make them breakfast. They had bowls of warm mash mixed with strawberry and cream flavored oatmeal Saturday morning and low and behold on Saturday afternoon there were THREE eggs! I did the same thing on Sunday and again, THREE eggs! The girls were finally rewarding us with the long awaited jewels. There is not enough time to feed them a hot breakfast on weekdays and wouldn't you know it - only one egg. I think they are getting a little too spoiled. What do you all think? [​IMG]

2 BR, 3 BO, 3 EE, 1 australorp and 6 mutts. We love them all.

2. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    they will come along. i have 26. first egg at 21 weeks. 17 eggs today and they are 24 weeks now.

3. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    and i forgot they are not spoiled. just happy!

4. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't call them spoiled-- after all, they're clearly "giving back" the kindness that you just gave them! Spoiled would be if you went to all this trouble and they didn't even bother to lay an egg, lol.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can go ahead and gladly admit that ours are spoiled. They have a HUGE coop, a porch awning with a porch light, 6 nesting boxes for 13 girls, 4 feeding trays, 2 water dishes, inside lights, a fan and a radiator on timers, so they don't get too hot or too cold, and treats every morning and every night.

6. weloveourchicks

weloveourchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Virginia
    I would call ours spoiled also, they have a covered coop that is huge - 6 boxes for 12 hens and I never go down there which is a couple times a day without a treat. It's been getting cold here so I've also been giving them oatmeal.

Susan

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Spoiled chickens [​IMG] Only way to have them!! [​IMG]

8. cherylhoner

cherylhoner New Egg

Sep 17, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks everyone - now I can tell all friends and family we aren't the only ones!

9. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep saying happy chickens lay more eggs!! We have 14 hens that are 21-23 weeks old. We've had 2 laying for about 3 weeks. Yesterday we brought our roos and meaties to the processor. When we got home we had another egg, a 3rd hen has started laying!! I think our girls are happier now that the roos are gone.

Sonja

10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:I think my girls are calmer since my roo had to be relocated. They are not as jumpy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by