Spoiled Chooks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Happy Dad, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Songster

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    We supplement their diet with cracked corn for the winter for added energy. They know they can eat all of the corn out of the bowl, throw the pellets on the ground and my wife will continue to give them more. So I put a stop to this and had a group chicken meeting. They all gathered around and I told them they had to eat every pellet off of the ground before they would get any more. Yes I'm crazy and spoke to them like they would understand and they actually looked at me like they did. This morning when I went out the ground was spotless and they came at me like they were going to eat me, lol. Boy were they happy to get a fresh bowl of food with corn mixed in. And yes they ate all of the corn out leaving the pellets. [​IMG]

I love our chickens.

1 person likes this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Why don't you give them the pellets in the morning, and offer the corn before going to roost at night? It's possible that the pellets may have been cleaned up by mice or rats... or other unsavory critters during the night.

3. pdirt

pdirt Songster

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Post a pic of your feeder, or a link to one like it. Perhaps we could give you some suggestions to improve your feeder so they can't waste feed so easily.

4. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Songster

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    I watched them yesterday afternoon pecking them off the ground after they got done foraging in the yard and woods and returned to the run. When I locked the run door in the early evening I noticed they had done a good job but there was still some left. I'm sure they finished it this morning before I went out. I know we have mice around as I have two very healthy outdoor cats who are constantly leaving me offerings in the back yard after they pick out the good parts. But I'm pretty positive the chickens cleaned it up.

5. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Songster

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    I build one of the PVC tube no mess feeders this Summer. The design looked awesome and others who have built it raved about it. I got it done and proudly showed it to my wife then took it to the run.

It took them awhile to figure it out but they did before the day was over. After a couple of days I was VERY satisfied with my no mess feeder.

Until.....

Our rooster would stick his head in it and pull out food with his beak. He would make a nice little pile eat some then stand back while his girls had some. It got to the point where it was cleaner to just have a bowl. I think I may try the bucket feeder using the 90 degree elbow trick next.

6. pdirt

pdirt Songster

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
  7. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Songster

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    HD, at least your rooster is doing a good job finding food for his gals. gotta love his resourcefulness. Gotta love those roos!

1 person likes this.
  9. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Songster

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    Cheers to that. I'm afraid even if I build the bucket feeder he will still find a way to dig food out and pile it up. He love his gals!

It's all good no matter what though. I actually had fun chewing their butts telling them to eat their scraps off the ground first, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by