SPOILED HEN DOWNGRADING TO LOWER CLASS HOUSING: New Aquisition

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blondiebee181, Jan 12, 2014.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Hello all,

A friend of mine gave me what I believe is a Bantam Cochin hen, approx. a year old. She and her husband are moving away and have been trying to find home for her hens. I guess I have 2 questions:
    Firstly, I have 4 standard size hens already and 2 Runner Ducks...will the newbie be okay with the bigger girls? She seems spunky, I have her in her own separate pen for now where the big girls can see her and she can see them. I have introduced lone chickens into my flock several times now with minimal fighting or problems. My girls aren't super aggressive, but I know it depends a lot on the new chicken too. I plan to let them out together in the yard tomorrow to see how things go.
    Secondly, I have her in her own pen overnight tonight, and she is coming from a home where her coop had a red heat lamp in it. My friend says she never hung out around the lamp a whole lot...but...I have never lighted or heated my coop and she is now in the adjacent pen without light or heat...or real walls for that matter,lol. I have covered it with a sheet and a tarp over that, but I am still afraid she may get chilly. It is supposed to drop to 30F tonight, which is nothing to the rest of my girls, but I have never taken a hen during the winter like this especially coming from a heated coop. I am considering putting her in the nest box of my coop with the girls if she appears cold when I go out to check on her before going to bed....any other suggestions? This is the only pic I have of her right now, she's a cutie! You can sort of see the pen...

[​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    She should be fine at 30* as long as she has shelter from the elements. I had a bantam cochin hen with my LF hens and she did just fine. She's the one that snuggled up to my brahma rooster at night. They were quite the pair!

3. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Good to hear, thank you! It's always good to be reassured :)

4. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    ...and thank you for the quick response!

5. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    "Frankie" slept in the big girl coop last night...in the nest box, but I know that's because they haven't spent much time together still...They have been hanging out in the yard together and they have been sharing the same run, but my other hens do chase her and my boss hen, Xena has jumped on her a couple times. No blood, and mostly just chasing but I hope they figure it out soon. The good thing is little Frankie is small and fast, so she can at least get away easily and she escapes onto the coop roof quite frequently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by