Spoiled? Or "well socialized?"

MonicainAZ

Chirping
May 21, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
So I have my first ever batch of chicks, and have so been enjoying raising them! I have 3 black australorp babies who are 3 weeks old now. From the beginning they haven't been either friendly or standoffish, more just neutral to human contact. They mostly seem to ignore me. They will hop onto my hand at times, but don't like to be carried or held. I am just another perch to them, haha.

Since I first brought them home, I've been feeding them crunched up dried mealworms from my hands, which they LOVE. And when I come out to the brooder, they are all so anxious to see me, I mean, eat their treats. And of course they are cute babies and I like having them eat out of my hand, so I often indulge them.

But, my experience with puppies tells me that these kinds of behaviors can seem adorable at the beginning, but turn into really annoying problems if they turn into bad habits when they grow up. Am I on the road to having bratty chickens that squawk at 4am because they want their treats? What is a good way to indulge them a little and win them over without turning them into demanding annoyances?

This morning I cleaned out their brooder before I gave them their treats, and they didn't seem to annoyed. I'm a softie and their big black eyes are compelling! But I can be strong if I need to be. :) Any advice?

As long as they are pullets then all is fine but beware with cockerels - babying them does not make for a good relationship when they reach maturity. Once you can tell which are the boys - don't baby them as you have to make sure that they understand who is the boss.

Plenty of threads on raising cockerels, so give them a go in due time.

CT

I'm wondering the same thing! I have really got my little flock cued in to me as well! Yesterday when I took them outside one of my Andelusians flew up on my shoulder! I thought, cute now but what about when it's big and 4-5 pounds!

Chickens are great moochers, but I think you have enough birds to keep them from being annoying. Mine always run to me to see what I have for them, if I have nothing they go on their merry way to forage, dust bathe, or do the crazy stuff chickens do. 1 or 2 birds is usually when you see annoying beahavior. Enjoy your birds

Thanks for the advice. All of mine should be girls, there's always a possibility but so far I see no signs of any cockerels.

And you are right Bonz, this morning when they didn't get their treat right away, they gave up pretty quickly and moved on. I'll just have to be sure not to train them that begging pays off!

I have 2 hens and DH has them spoiled rotten. When they see us at the kitchen sink, they go bonkers. I let them out of the pen every evening when I get home from work and, invariably, they head straight to the porch for a cracker. Ugg--poopy porch. He'll toss it into the yard for them, they eat it, head around to the other door and squack for him to come out with another. After that one, they calm down and do their thing. They have him trained.

Hahaha... Yes, I am vulnerable to that, but luckily I have had practice with my other manipulative pets (border collies) so I am at least aware of the danger. When my hens end up like this I will have no excuse, haha.

Back
Top Bottom