Spoiled, picky ducks.

jennybvcr

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Connecticut
One of the things I was super excited about when I got my ducks is that I could toss them all sorts of delicious scraps and leftovers. Well... fast forward 10 months and my spoiled picky ducks will ONLY EAT MEALWORMS. Oh and watermelons. Not lettuce. Not scrambled eggs. Not leftover milk. Not scratch grains. Only mealworms and watermelons. Neither of which are particularly cheap or easy to come by.

So... any hints on expanding the types of snacks my stupid spoiled ducks will eat? Or do I just say heck it and give them what they want? I inserted some photos of my stinkin' spoiled ducks since we all know that's why we come here. The first photo is the three of them ignoring all the delicious scratch grains and milk I have for them. Third is Jemimah telling me if I don't get her mealworms she's doing to bite me.

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.18.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.19.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.19.49 PM.png IMG_2495.JPG

My duck is really spoiled... I have to trick her into eating a variety of foods because she doesn’t eat enough calcium if I don’t force the variety upon her! She won’t eat tomato’s or lettuce. She’ll barely touch peas. I take away her food for a couple of hours and then feed her the “treat”. She eats it right up like she’s never seen food. However if she’s full on duck feed, she won’t eat anything but eggs!

Oh, that's a familiar story. :rolleyes: Every time I read about a treat that everyone elses' ducks love, I go out and try to feed it to my two, only for them to turn up their beaks. Spoiled brats.
Haha yep! Good thing they're cute.

Have you tried putting it right next to there feed?
I will give that a try. Their crumbles are their last resort as they'd way rather be out foraging the yard, so I figured if I just tossed it out in the yard they'd be psyched. I will give next to their food a go. Maybe they'll be more likely to try new things when they're locked in their run and less preoccupied with rooting around in the mud (that used to be grass... :hit)

Back
Top Bottom