:) spoiled, spoiled, spoiled (:

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by greening, Jun 6, 2011.

1. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I got home memorial day after a weekend vacation. i came home to find my broody hen dead and she had hatched 6 of her eggs and the chicks were no were to be found. the dogs got her and my golden retriever was carrying her around in his mouth. with the little hope i had left, i took the eggs into the house, and amazingly, one of the eggs hatched. it was shrink wrapped so, we had to help it out, but it did great. we opened the other eggs to find all of them had fully formed chicks in them, but never piped internally or externaly. so now we have one very loud lonely chick. but we figured out how to keep it entertained [​IMG]. it follows me and my siblings around the house and when i went outside to feed the ducklings and my 5wk old chicks, it followed me out the door and across the yard. i had to carry it on the way back because it couldnt keep up anymore. we also had it running around on the floor and my brother was playing on my ipod, and it started trying to pop balloons!. it didnt sense it, though. and the little guy will chirp and chirp when its in the brooder so i have to sit on the chair until it falls asleep and then stick it in the brooder so it will sleep. thank god, on june 9th, i have 1 turkey, 24 pheasants, and 14 guineaus set to hatch, so we will get our spoiled rotten little chick a friend.

2. the poor baby.... I knowyou will make her happy until then. I am so sorry to hear about your hen and her other chicks. That stinks. [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

What a lucky little chick.

Do you have a feather duster? If so, I like to hang one in the brooder for chicks - gives them something to snuggle up next to, or under.

[​IMG]

4. that's a GREAT idea!!!!!! i have used a stuffed animal, but never that.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:Dang, that's a good idea!

6. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Quote:Oh my goodness, I would've never thought about a feather duster! That's a great IDEA! [​IMG]

7. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    What a sweet cute little chick, it's one little lucky thing! It's gonna be even sweeter when it gets older!

[​IMG]

8. Willie647

Willie647 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    We have used the feather duster many times. Works well. Then at nite we just hold the little ones till they sleep. They become so friendly as they grow up. Even if they think every feather duster is Mom!

9. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    due to the fact we didnt want to listen to it anymore and we found some chicks, we got it four partriage cochins that hatched the same day. they are doing wonderful and finally we have som peace and quiet [​IMG] the little guy still chirps when you put your hand in the brooder to fill the food/water dishes, but he/she is definitely a lot happier now!

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for friends to make a flock - that really is the bestest way to spoil chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by