Spoiling my molting girls...

rparrny

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
So my RIR is two years old and going through her first molt...I remember my daughter getting her first period and me allowing her to stay home from school and eat chocolate ice cream at 9 in the morning to celebrate her right of passage...lol. In keeping with that spirit I want to spoil my RIR along with a few Golden Comets that I recently got that are also molting. I gave them some cooked chicken yesterday and today...I have some tuna, salmon and sardines in cans around the house so they get tons of protein. My question is...I have a pound of ground veal in the fridge that I was going to use and then changed my mind...can they get veal??
Now to make sure I am not spoiling them into bad health...is giving them extra protein every day too much? They love it when I put a head of cabbage in the run for them...should I hold off on the fresh veggies when I'm giving them the extra protein? Are giving both too much of a good thing? She has been such a great egg layer...non stop in the past two years and I want to give her the star treatment while she's going through such stress.

Veal would be fine for them to eat. However, I wouldn't feed so many high protein foods every day. I'd only give them high protein foods every other day or so. Too much protein can cause gout in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom