Spoiling new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenni22776rn, Mar 20, 2011.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG] After a long and at times..heated discussion regarding the baby chicks..I came to the experts to see if I am indeed crazy!
    I am having a hard time putting my 5 baby chicks outside for good. They are approx 6-7 weeks old this week..my 2 BO are fully feathered and my RIR are almost fully feathered..I live in maine and the temps at night drop to 30 degrees..[​IMG] I put them out in their own coop during the day...and they LOVE it! But when my older ladies go to bed and I close them up for the night..I bring in the baby chicks. They sleep well at night and seem to enjoy being back in..the hubbs thinks I am spoiling them and they should be ready to be left out for good...he is afraid of having 5 adult chickens sleeping in our bedroom for the next year because I am not "ready" to let go...[​IMG]
    So am I crazy for bringing them back in at night? Are they ok at night outside in their coop with no other heat source? Or should I wait until the outside temps get warmer-should be ok in about 2 weeks...I will admit I do enjoy getting up and seeing how excited they get when they see me coming...and I do enjoy the routine at bedtime..I just don't want them to get cold at night..can you spoil baby chicks too much?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I say go with your instincts and keep them inside. Yes, they probably would be fine outside now, but it sounds like you have a great set up and are enjoying their company. You will know when the time is right, so relax and give yourself the next two weeks before the send off. [​IMG] And, no, you can't spoil chickens too much! [​IMG]

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    N&MSchroeder :

I say go with your instincts and keep them inside. Yes, they probably would be fine outside now, but it sounds like you have a great set up and are enjoying their company. You will know when the time is right, so relax and give yourself the next two weeks before the send off. [​IMG] And, no, you can't spoil chickens too much! [​IMG]

I agree. And better safe than sorry... Give your DH a date they'll be out and that should help too. That way he has a set date to count down to instead of wondering if he has a new set of house chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by