Spoiling our pet rooster and his galfriend

trackfodder

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
I was wanting to get some protein into the chickens' diet to supplement the cracked corn and occasional sunflower seeds and cockatiel feed. I gave them Meow Mix Original dry cat chow, and they love it. I guess that is an acceptable supplement isn't it? Maybe he will start meowing rather than crowing right outside my bedroom window? LOL If anybody has a comment, please hit me offline at [email protected] as I never can find my posts with answers on this thing. Some groups will notify you on email when you have received an answer, bbut nooo not this one. Keith Williams

It is ok to feed them a little cat food once and a while, but it has chemicals that are bad for chickens if they eat to much of it.
smile.png

In the learning center under "Treats" there is an article sent in by another Back Yard Chicken person. She really stresses against feeding cat food to chickens due to the chemicals in the cat food. The chemicals that are good for kitties are considered toxic for chickens. On the same "treats" list are options for more protein.

My neighbor and I are experimenting different combination of seed and grain mixtures due to our celiac disease. There is some discussion about how much soy and fish meal to put in feed. Fish meal tends to have high levels of mercury and soy has estrogen.

Just be careful and let us know how it works out.

trackfodder, I keep thinking there must be another way to see your own recent posts, but the only way I've found to search for them on this site is to go to the blue bar above (Index, User List, Rules, etc...) and click on Search. Put your own name into author search and there you have it! All the threads you posted in.

If someone else has an easier way to search our own posts, I'd sure love to hear it!

Quote:
First if you start a new topic you can click "Subscribe" at the bottom and it will send you an email anytime someone answers it. But you can also go to the main page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php and go all the way to the bottom left hand corner and it says

Show recent posts
Show unanswered posts
Show your subscribed topics
Show your posts

Click on the one you want to go to. It's as simple as that!!

Missi

Quote:
Just click on the 'subscribe to this topic' at the bottom left of the page... You then get an e-mail that tells you someone else has posted to that topic. Click on the link in the e-mail, and there you are.......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom