1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spoilt and hand-fed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caralouise1974, Apr 14, 2009.

1. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am slightly embarrassed to admit this, but my chickens are spolit brats! [​IMG]

Today I discovered that, whilst they won't eat layers pellets from the ground or from their feeder unless they are very hungry indeed, they will go completely wild for them and fight each other to eat them out of my hand. Especially if I've ground them up a little with a mortar and pestle first. [​IMG]

Should I stamp on this outrageous behaviour before they start getting mega-fussy about their eating habits? I don't want to have to squat down next to the coop hand-feeding them forever more! The cheeky madams!

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Start feeding them from a pet bowl in your hands so they transfer the behavior to the object, then use the same bowl for treats in the coop or run...[​IMG]

3. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks LynneP - I'll give it a go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by