Spoke feeders- How many lb. feeder for 13 hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hudson, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hudson

Hudson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I see different size feeders and I would like to know what size I should get for 13 hens. I know that many people build their own but my wife has offered to purchase feeders and waterer since I paid for all the coop construction. How many gallon waterer do I need for my chickens? The longest that I may be away without feeding or watering would be for a long weekend. Thanks for your info!

Jon
    Atlanta, GA

My first flock just went into their coop yesterday, a 8 foot by 8 foot coop with a good size run!

2. jonathansenn

jonathansenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    Congrats on getting the wife to pay for chicken stuff! [​IMG] I have 11 that are 5 weeks old and I use a 1 gallon waterer and a 10 pound feeder. I also have 10 adult birds that are in a separate run/coop. I use a 5 gallon galvanized waterer (which last about 4 days) and a two foot trough ( last one day [​IMG] ). All except for the trough were purchased at tractor supply.

I have thought about using a 5 gallon hanging deer feeder with a timer to feed with instead of the trough( with deer season over, I can move it [​IMG] ) . It would hold more feed as well as scatter it over the yard as if someone fed the chickens by hand allowing them to all have a chance at food instead of the dominant birds. I suggest this since the wife is willing to pay [​IMG] you could probably find one at the local hunting store or the old standby Wally World.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by