sponge cake?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 3goodeggs, Dec 8, 2009.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I can not believe that i did a BYC search for sponge cake and nothing showed up.
    are they called something else?

I made one decades ago from my grandmother's recipe that used 8 eggs. You beat the whites, fold in the yolks and then added all of the other stuff that I have forgotten. [​IMG]
    Does anyone know what I am talking about? Any recipes?
    thanks! [​IMG]

2. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Angel Food cake?

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Daffodil Sponge Cake

1 cup sifted cake flour
    1/2 cup sugar, divided
    4 egg yolks
    1/2 teaspon lemon extract
    10 egg whites
    1 teaspoon cream of tarter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sift flour & 1/2 cup sugar together & set aside. Beat egg yolks at high speed w/electric mixer 4 minutes or until thick & lemon colored. Add lemon extract; beat at medium speed additional 5 minutes or until thick. Set aside.
    Beat egg whites at room temperature until foamy. Add cream of tarter & salt & beat until soft peaks form.
    Add 3/4 cup sugar; 2 tablespooms at a time & beat until stiff peaks form.

Sprinkle 1/4 of flour mixture over egg whites & gently fold it in. Repeat w/remaining flour; adding 1/4 mixture at a time. Divide egg white mixture in half.

Fold vanilla into half of egg white mixture. Gently fold beaten egg yolks into 1/2 of egg white mixture.
    Pour 1/2 of yellow mixture into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan; then gently add 1/2 of white mixture. Repeat w/remaining mixtures. Gently swirl batters w/a knife to create marble effect.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan carefully. Let cake cool in pan 40 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula; remove from pan. Yields one 10 inch cake.

Vanilla sponge cake: For a plain sponge cake do not divide egg white mixture in half. Substitute vanilla extract for lemon extract.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Personally, I like the plain Chiffon Cake better--

1 cup sifted all purpose flour
    1 cup sugar, divided
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs, separated
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter

Sift together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder & salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center & add oil, egg yolks, water & vanilla. Beat at high speed w/electric mixer about 5 minutes until satiny smooth.
    Beat egg whites at room temp & cream of tarter in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time & beat until stiff peaks form.
    Pour egg yolk mixture in a thin, steady stream over entire surface of egg whites; then gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture.
    Pour batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan, spreading evenly w/a spatula. Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula; remove from pan. Yields 1 10 inch cake.

Coffee chiffon cake: dissolve 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder in 1/4 cup water specified in original recipes. Frost cake with Kahlua Cream Frosting.

Kahlua frosting:
    2 cups whipping cream
    2 tablespoons powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

combine all ingredients in a bowl & beat until firm peaks form. Yields 4 cups.

2 tablespoons Kahlua
    1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
    1 teaspoon water.
    Stir until smooth.

Beat whipping cream, sugar & vanilla until foamy; add coffee mixture & beat until firm peaks form.
    beat whipping cream, sugar, & vanilla until foamy; add coffee mix.

Edited because I can't spell worth anything this late at night!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    I make my sponge cake a little differently to create my Buche de Noel or Yule Log cake. Using the basic sponge cake recipe, I lightly grease and pour the batter into a large sheet cake pan. I think pouring it over a parchment liner ibetter. When it tests done and is slightly cooled, I lightly sprinkle the surface with granulated sugar, and roll it up from the narrow end of the cake. I wrap it in a sugared towel (sugaring prevents sticking) and let it cool. When cool, I gently unwrap the cake, spread choc/brandy filling over all, (any kind of favorite filling can be used). At that time, I place it on the serving dish I'm planning to use for it, place parchment again under the edges of the cake to keep frosting off the platter, and frost the cake with chocolate frosting to resemble bark. I use a fork to create the rough bark design. Oops, forgot! Before I place the rolled cake on the platter, I carefully cut a 2-3 inch piece on the diagonal off one end. This becomes "cut limb" on my log cake. I attach this piece with the icing on the main log to look like an actual cut log for the fire. Frost all. Before serving, I lightly sprinkle the Yule Log with powdered sugar to resemble snow fall on the log, and tuck in a small piece of artificial holly at the attached "limb" location. I usually dust the platter with some of the powdered sugar for effect before showing off the completed Yule Log. This is just a fun way to use sponge cake for the Holiday, and lets you play in the kitchen to make something different for your family or guests. Oh, btw, I usually add a "touch" of a favorite alcoholic beverage to the filling and/or icing when I make this for Christmas. Artificial flavors could be used instead. ~G Oops again, Before I put the cake with te filling mixture spread on it on the serving platter prior to icing it, I reroll the now filled cake into it's log form, ready for the icing. Please forgive my confusing outline above...I've run into an editing glitch that makes it difficult to make a correction in the text of the writing. It's hard to go wrong doing a Yule Log. Have fun, be creative, and glow in all the compliments you receive when serving this dessert! ~G

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thanks every one! I have eggs... and I need to use them. Everyone gets cakes for Christmas!

I like the yule log technique. I usually go for stumps. But your way sounds like I could actually roll one.

7. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I love the sound of that Yule log--thanks for your detailed instructions on how to make one--I'm going to try it! I bet chocolate w/a raspberry filling would be good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by