1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spooked Red Comets!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MickeysChicks, Dec 23, 2014.

1. MickeysChicks

MickeysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    This morning my husband went out to to let the girls out of the coop, they had been cooped up over 24 hours because of heavy thunderstorms. We were expecting more storms after lunch today so we wanted to give them a chance to get out a stretch their legs and free range, plus it gave us a chance to to some coop maintanence! When they rushed out of the rungate my husband realized he was missing a few Red Comets. When he opened up the coop, 2 reds were in nesting boxes and they would not budge so he just figured they weren't quite done with the boxes. But then he realized there was a Red Comet in the crawl space under the nesting boxes and it was not alive! After retrieving the bird he did some poking around to see if he saw any signs of a struggle or unusual poop....nope! Everything appeared normal. We just chalked it up to occasionally chickens just die. But then after lunch, sure enough the storms started rolling in so he went out to close them up in the coop. The leghorns were already settled in but none of the Red Comets were in? He looked around the yard and finally found 4 off them perched up on the deck railing underneath our outdoor kitchen awning. My husband and daughter had to physically pick them up and put them in the coop, and we have yet to find the 5th Red! We're worried sick about that hen not being safely in the coop!
    Any ideas about their behavior! Any others signs or symptoms we should be looking for? Our Red Comets are the favorites of the coop, they are the bossy ones of the coop but have very smart outgoing personalities. The leghorns are usually the ones getting themselves in trouble by getting into situations that need human intervention to get them out of! So this behavior is very puzzling!

2. MickeysChicks

Jul 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    So this morning everybody seems fine, ravenous appetite, demanding to be let out even though it's still raining! And guess who came home? The adventures of Gertrude continue! She woke us up about 7am ( figures, my one day this week to sleep late!) raising a fuss on the deck outside our bedroom! Other than being a mad wet (and hungry) hen, she seems fine. After eating she made a beeline for her favorite nesting box, chasing out a leghorn in the process ( hope she was done!) [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good update. Just make sure that your coop is secure in case a predator has been trying to gain access.

1 person likes this.
  4. MickeysChicks

Jul 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Guess this post should have been on the egglaying and behavior forum, with the exception of the mysterious chicken death. Gertrude is missing again tonight! I saw her on the deck and 30 minutes later I went out with some diced apples to lure everybody into the coop and she was gone! We've looked everywhere! Wherever she's at I think she may have 2 days worth eggs with her, thats how many brown eggs we've missed in the last two days! Think I may have a good candidate for my egg hatching hen in the Spring, now I just have to figure out where she's hiding! Poor thing, we don't have a roo, hoarding those eggs will do her no good! We have a friend who raises Black Australorps who was going to help us hatch some eggs in the Spring, I may just let Gertrude have a try setting on some fertilized eggs! But she's gonna have to wait till Spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by