Spooked Silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickcrazyNC, Jul 27, 2014.

1. chickcrazyNC

chickcrazyNC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi! I have a Silkie that just seems to hate people. Every time I go in the coop he/she is hiding behind all the other chicks and when I pick it up it just flaps it's wings and tries to get away. I thought Silkies were pretty friendly so I'm a bit surprised and disappointed as this is my only one. Any suggestions on how to get it used to me or should I just accept it and let it be? Here's a pic, he/she is 5 1/2 weeks old and I've had it 1 week.[​IMG]
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Sometimes they are just spooky, generally speaking they are friendly. try just sitting with them, feeding them near you if you sit quietly it should gain their trust, treats also work well. if she was an adult it would be different. I have an adult silkie who I bought at an auction and her name is mental mindy... and she is just a spook although she has been with my friendly flock for over 6 months now I cant get within 3 metres of her ( better than 10 when I first got her) without her shrieking like im an axe murder and running off in a fluff, while everyone else ignores her screams. Just keep trying, patience is the key here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by