Spooky Howling outside

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Beth G., Aug 19, 2011.

1. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

I just was awoken to the erie sounds of coyotes howling and heat lightening. I went outside to check my flock and all appears to be well but, I fear the yotes hit my neighbors Keets [​IMG]

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Dang that stinks. I would keep a rifle close at hand, shoot 'em if the come close or they'll keep coming back.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Spooooooky indeed. [​IMG]

4. Beth G.

suki'smom :

Dang that stinks. I would keep a rifle close at hand, shoot 'em if the come close or they'll keep coming back.

Yeah, I always have the 20 gauge handy but, do not like shootin blind at night [​IMG] I live next to a lake community and this time of year ppl are out all hours of the night. Wintertime is a different story. Here in CT no one hunts the Yotes for pelts anymore therefore they are in abundance with tons of prey.​

5. Beth G.

Quote:I didn't sleep all night [​IMG] it spooked me out!! [​IMG]

6. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Yeah, I always have the 20 gauge handy but, do not like shootin blind at night ? I live next to a lake community and this time of year ppl are out all hours of the night. Wintertime is a different story. Here in CT no one hunts the Yotes for pelts anymore therefore they are in abundance with tons of prey.

Man that's a bad situation all around. I wonder how well some firecrackers would work, maybe spook them enough to avoid your yard. You could always fire into the ground but that's kinda iffy. I hope for your sake they are satisfied with the neighbors keets, as awful as that is.​

7. Beth G.

Yeah my situation stinks [​IMG]

Around the Fourth my neighborhood was very active with fireworks and it definitely made a difference. I didn'ts see any wildlife for 3 weeks and then these past few weeks I am seeing more and more. I hope the coyotes move on. I think after awhile if it's too much effort or if they keep getting spooked by lights flashing on and off they will move on to the next foothill section of the woods and go terrorism someone else's pets. I lost my 5 yro cat this week and I blame the Yotes b/c he loves dogs and is an outdoor cat. He never goes away on a hunt for more than 2-3 days. He's been gone almost a week.
    suki'smom :

Yeah, I always have the 20 gauge handy but, do not like shootin blind at night ? I live next to a lake community and this time of year ppl are out all hours of the night. Wintertime is a different story. Here in CT no one hunts the Yotes for pelts anymore therefore they are in abundance with tons of prey.

Man that's a bad situation all around. I wonder how well some firecrackers would work, maybe spook them enough to avoid your yard. You could always fire into the ground but that's kinda iffy. I hope for your sake they are satisfied with the neighbors keets, as awful as that is.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by