Sporadic egg-laying from two hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scullybird, Aug 31, 2009.

1. scullybird

scullybird Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Corvallis, OR
    My five hens are all five months old. I have: Barred Rock, White Leghorn, Rhode Island Red and two Black Sex-Links.

The two Sex-Links started laying at four months. They are very regular, one brown egg/day each from day one. They are now large to jumbo sized eggs.

The Barred Rock started laying a week after the Sex-Links. She also lays one brown egg/day from the beginning, and they are big, too.

The Leghorn started laying about one week ago, white eggs, of course. But, she only lays one egg every-other day, still kinda small.

We believe the RR started laying four days ago. There was a very small egg in the nest (like a newbie layer's), and it was very faint tan, almost pink (tinted, I think it's called). Since the first three girls already laid that day, and it wasn't white, we figured it had to be the RR. But, she hasn't laid since then.

My questions:

I have read that Leghorns are among the best layers, but mine isn't. Might she pick-up the pace in time?

Could my RR be truly sporadic? Is that normal, in the beginning? The white Leghorn couldn't have laid a tinted egg, could she? Or, could it have been a second egg from one of the big girls, but if so, why was it so light in color?

I appreciate any input you have!

2. scullybird

scullybird Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Corvallis, OR
    No thoughts?

3. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I'm no expert but I doubt your other chickens laid the small tinted egg. I do know they can be irregular at the begining, though mine pretty much went to laying everyday (I have BR and SLW). Maybe the RR and Leghorn will increase production as they get older? Only time will tell.

4. jjrabbit2

jjrabbit2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    My white leghorn started laying a couple of weeks ago and they where every other day and now its everyday and a little bigger too. She even stayed in the nest box most of the morn and skwaked any one else away. Almost broody acting! Weird But she was out with the flock this after noon. LOL!

I think the RR laid the pink tinted egg! Good luck with your peeps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by