Sport Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Jan 15, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    ?

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Any one know

4. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    I think they mean sport as in they are mixed color, but purebred marans, ie not a standard marans color. Probably a cross between two standard colors.

The reddish brown hens are not likely even Marans, but probably Welsummers, note the yellow legs.

5. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
  6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    There's no such thing as "Sport Marans", and the guy's a con artist to advertise them as he does:

"Sport Marans are new to this country... They are very rare in this country as only a handful of breeders have them, and they are almost impossible to find."

I sent him an email and asked about it, and this is his reply:

"NO ONE is being ripped off, and you won't have to every worry about buying from me, you are no more then a know it all trouble maker you have been blocked. Keep this up and i'll report you to ebay for harassment.
    Have a Good #@!#@#@# Day"

7. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    This guy was being discussed in another category. "Sport" is normally used to describe an unexpected result from a breeding. In this case he is simply selling cross breeds. Gettting good color from the marans is a constant struggle and it does not come from mixing and matching types. I'd steer clear of him and not be taken. There are far better lines out there that are much safer to deal with.

Richard

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    look at how much for a cross breed! I feel sorry for the people that bought them!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think this thread had stuff about the same "sport" marans you were looking at.

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Yup I am not even thinking about them and was never I was just wondering if anything like that really existed. If I hatched marans eggs they would be from BYC or from a well documented good breeder.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by