Sportman 1202 thermostat & hatching HELP Needed Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by microseramas2, Dec 8, 2009.

1. microseramas2

microseramas2 New Egg

Dec 8, 2009
    NJ
    Bator

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

One full turn should do a lot. There is usually two thermostats in those incubators.

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    It sounds like the only thing working is the wafer. On mine you get a lot of difference with just a fraction of a turn of the main thermostat. You can reset the wafer to a lower temp, but I'd prefer you red through the GQF instructions for that, as I don't want to steer you wrong:/ Your temps are also too high, as I'm sure you know. I use digital temp monitors on the rear of the top & bottom turning trays usually and go for an average as close to 99.5-100.00 as I can get. They rarely have the same readings.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What about your vents?Is your bator in an open area or is there things around it?Usually chicks pipping and dieing in the shell is bad air flow.You need to have it placed in an open area.Also the vents can control the temps if not set right.How old are the eggs before put in bator?Did you turn eggs while storing?Seramas,call ducks should have higher hatch rates,but buttons are about 50-60 % and less if you shipped them in.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. microseramas2

microseramas2 New Egg

Dec 8, 2009
    NJ
    also

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    It would be highly unlikely that it did not have vents in the back. You will play with these to adjust your humidity. It is possible that you will have to replace the electronic stat. You can replace it with another electonic one for about 60 bucks or you can get another wafer and switch for about 15.

Shady creek Farm in Minnesota can for sure sell you parts and is the most likely to give you information.

I think if you google that model number you can down load a pdf with all the wiring instructions etc.

You have a very good bator that may need a part. The wafers, switches, and electronic stats can go bad. I had an electric one go bad on one of mine.

Good luck you will enjoy it when you get it going.

7. microseramas2

microseramas2 New Egg

Dec 8, 2009
    NJ
    y

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    You should be able to adjust that temp by a microhair...anything harder to adjust on it, I would worry.

I have had it recommended to me to use the Brinsea Spot Chek thermometer, so I bought one...it has a probe that fits in that hole and I believe it to be very precise. It is digital so that should help you to fine tune your temp.

9. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Tony
    You are a Lifesaver!!! I just pulled my incubator out and checked. The large vent hole in the back was completly CLOSED. Whatcha think should i leave it full open or half open? (Theres a piece of metal that spins to open or close the hole). Tony you REALLY know your stuff thanks alout!!

Also.....
    All my eggs come right from my back yard Coop, And dont sit around more then a few days before being placed staggered in small sets in the bator. I mist the call eggs lightly with warm water every 5 days or so.

I run mine about 1/4 open,top and bottom.I place a thermometer at the top and bottom and adjust the vents until both thermos read the same.Do you turn your eggs while storing them?
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by