Sportsman 1202

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flyweed, Jan 13, 2011.

1. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    Well I did it...my new Bator is a Sportsman 1202 cabinet model. It has autoturner, 3 turning racks, one hatching rack, auto humidity system, an egg candler came with it too. It's really nice

Anyway...I had just a couple questions.

1. Are the dual wafer thermostat setups pretty reliable (that's what it has) or should I upgrade this to the electronic thermostat?

2. I don't like that the door has NO window. Can I make a cutout in the door and silicone in some plexi..or should I buy the complete plexi door from GQF?

Thanks for any help

Dan

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Congrats on your new 'bator! I don't know about wafer T stat ours came with the electronic with a wafer backup (I have never used the backup) The old style front door did have a plexiglass window and i'm thinking it was about 1/8 thick, I'll look tonight when I get home for the thickness. The totally clear door is at least a 1/4 thick. I don't see why you can't just do a cut out to see in.

Steve

3. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    thanks for the info Steve

Yeah instead of spending the money on a total plexi door....I think I am going to take the wood door off, mark out a long rectangular window to see the incubating racks....and then router that out so a sheet of plexi will fit down into the routered groove..then I can seal it in well with silicone sealant.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by