Sportsman 1502 incubator/hatcher versus 1500 incubator/setter only?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by desertmarcy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    I'm getting set to order another incubator. I currently have a Sportsman digital incubator/hatcher (model 1502) and a stand alone hatcher. I need the second incubator for turkey eggs. The only difference I can see is the setter without the hatch tray incubates the eggs at a steeper angle, and the price difference is minimal. Does the steeper turning angle help with hatch rate? Or not really make any difference? The turkey eggs are much larger than chicken eggs, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input--I needed this incubator last week, I am turning turkey eggs by hand, and it is a PITA.

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I have the Sportsman, too. I have eggs of all sorts of sizes, and I have the regular and large egg hatching trays. Sometimes I get smallish chicken eggs, and quite often, my turkey eggs are just a BIT too big for the chicken tray, but still small for the large egg tray. I have seen them come WAY too close to tumbling out of the tray, I would be afraid that any steeper angle might do the trick! I have also had ambitios, early hatchers that hatch in the turning trays. So far, they have been able to cling on for dear life to the egg tray. I'd hate for them to fall, and maybe get stuck between the tray and the wall.

I am not sure more of an angle would make a difference. I have had as high as 90% hatch rates in my Sportsman.

3. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks for the reply. It never occurred to me that the eggs might fall out of the tray, but now that I think about it, the large egg hatching trays don't hold the eggs as tightly as the chicken trays. I've had plenty good hatching rate in my incubator/hatcher model, too, no complaints there. I know what you mean about the turkey eggs being in between sizes. If I have enough room, I put them every other cell in the chicken tray. But I will have to switch to the larger tray size for them, my chicken trays are all full of chicken eggs. I don't want them falling out. Think I'll get the model with the hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by