Sportsman 1502 incubator question..do YOU know?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a 1502 cabinet style sportsman and what I need to know is how many eggs is too many to add to the bottom hatcher?? Can the chicks hatch out well enough if it's over crowded? Im talking maybe 75 to 100 eggs?? Please let me know how many YOU hatched out at one time and have things be ok. Thanks for reading!!!!

2. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    i use mine like this if i have a tray hatching bye its self i set it on the bottom to hatch eggs egg holders and all. if i have a whole incubator hatching i stop the turner in the center and remove the hatching tray and let them fall down. have a box ready if you do this. for small hatches of quail i use the hatching tray i just transfer the eggs and holders to that and cover" it keeps them where you can find them" for a full tray of quail i close the bottom vent most of the way and put the whole tray in the bottom holders and all. have a box ready when you open the door they will fall out like running water that way thoe. this is how i do it and have hatched thousands of chicks and quail.[​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    WOW I guess I should not worry about 100 then! Sounds like it will be just fine. Thanks for your comment!

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Depends on what your hatching. 100 quail no problem, Ducks. chicken could be big issues. I definatly would not stack them in the hatcher.

5. 1shotcleaner

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    do you have all 100 on one tray? here are mine hatching now.[​IMG] looks like one is out

6. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I wont put that many down at once unless its the quail bator. I also don't set mine in the tray as I have learned they generally hatch more in sequence when the eggs actually touch.

7. 1shotcleaner

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    i dont like the eggs loos as they arent supposed to move during hatch. thats how chicks end up dead the ones that hatch first run all over the others an some just dont make it out .because of egg position but thats just my opinion.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Well I have 75 that are due on the same day SO I'm hoping it all goes well. The others will be about 4 or 5 days later so I should be able to get the first set out before the others go in the hatcher area.
    I won't stack them and maybe start taking dried ones out if others take a longer time. NOW when I candle there may be some eggs that I have to remove so 75 will be the MOST I add in the hatcher. More then likely less then that. I can't remember the most I have ever had in at one time.
    ETA: oh and these will be BLRW so chicken eggs...and some of the eggs are pretty large! I also am thinking of a way to separate them into three groups to keep the three different buyers I bought from separate. That may be interesting.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    As long as you remove the shells you reduce spacing also. But if you havent candled them yet I am sure you will have some duds [​IMG]

10. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Take some cardbosrd and cut you 2 spacers to put in it. Make sure the turner doesnt hit them and you can seperate them that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by