1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sportsman 1502 Staggered Hatching Question--

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by matte, Jan 17, 2012.

1. matte

matte Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    I'm going to be staggered hatching for the first time in my 1502.

I've never paid attention while the door was open to how much clearance there would be for the eggs/chicks in the hatching box while the egg turner is fully tilted.
    So, my question is whether or not I can leave the egg turner on while I have eggs/chicks in the bottom hatching box?

Or, do I have to level the egg trays and keep the turner off?

If the latter, will this hurt developing eggs to not be turned for 24+ hours?
    (I will be hatching about 10 days apart continously for the next couple months and using a second incubator as a hatcher is not an option at this point.)

Thanks!

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Just open the door and take a look. I think you will find there is plenty of room to keep turning during hatching. I know there is in my 1202.

3. matte

matte Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    Ha! Yes, that would be the common sense route. I just get paranoid about opening the door and like to have everything planned out ahead of time before "going in"[​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a 1202 also and my hatching tray has a cover. I don't use it for hatching any more because I do staggered hatches and I use my styrofoam incubators to hatch in.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by