Sportsman for $300.... Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Oct 25, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Here is what she says:

"The incubator is a Sportsman with automatic egg turner, egg trays and an automatic watering system. It has a thermostat with a back-up wafer thermostat. There is no model # listed on it but the Sportsman GQF 1502 is the one that it looks like. The only difference is that ours has a clear plexi glass door on it. Eldon has hatched several batches of chicks in it for us and for other people with no problems. We are downsizing on our chicken population and just no longer need it.
    You are welcome to come over and look at it."

And she sent me email pictures. Do these things wear out, or would I be safe to assume that it would be ok? I know nothing about them. She is asking $300., so I thought I would offer $200. and see what she says. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ETA: added the photos

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    all the parts are replacable so if you can get it for 200 that would be a great buy! [​IMG] and you could hatch some eggs for me just to test it!! [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Looks okay. I would offer $200.

4. kathyinmo

Quote:Well, I was just thinking .... with 2 HovaBators (with fan and turner), the cost would be over $200. So, if she won't take $200., I guess $300. isn't really so bad. [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

OK, he won't take $200. He is firm with $300. and has turned down an offer for $275. I think I will go look at it tomorrow.

6. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    go there with 275...say it's all you got...whip the cash out in front of him...he will take it! [​IMG] Seriously tho..WHAT A DEAL!! im VERY excited for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  7. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I think that's a heck of a deal already. Those things are over $800 new. You won't pick up one around here for less than $400 usually. Look at it this way.....it will pay for itself in less than a years time with the chicks it pops out.

Lmao... Asylum you would be wasting alot of gas money if you ever came to my house and tried to lowball me like that.

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    You have well over 100 dollars in accessories with the trays and the humidity set up. It is not the best deal I have seen, but if you have the funds and the need it is a very good deal.

I have the very same incubator and set up except for the plexi door. I got mine for less but I was very lucky.

I was prepard to pay the same if need be.

9. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:lmao!!!!! well i thought kathy was trying to say 275 was all she had. I couldn't tell you how many car's, atv's, farm equipment i have bought going to the person's house "local of corse" that was listed on craigslist and walked away with the item or item's with less than what they wanted...especially in today's time. They change their minds when you pull that wad of cash out of you pocket. And if they say they will not sell 20 dollars or so less than what they wanted then well it's obvious they need the cash/item more than you do. It's a buyer's marker right now, and im just along for the ride [​IMG]

It was nice to here from you destiny, i hope your silkies are all doing well...alltho im sure they are [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought a very slightly used "rear-tine" rototiller for $300.00 ($600.00 NEW). I made my offers which were refused. I paid what he asked ($300.00) and I have been very happy that I did! I would have "kicked myself" if I had not made that fine purchase!

IF it is worth $300.00 to YOU, pay the man and go home happy! [​IMG] [​IMG]

$20.00 or $30.00 difference won't mean a thing to you in 30 days.

Don't lose a good deal just to be "smart".

just my 2 pesos worth,
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by