Sportsman Incubator Heating process

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cold Canadian, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Does anyone know where i could get the inside view of a sportsman incubator so that I can see the heating process . I am looking at there heating coil's for use in a home built incubator and am curious where and how they located them as well as the whole installation of the coils .If someone would send me pictures or give a web site that would show this it would be great .

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The heating coils are just wire that heats from the resistance of power running threw it. Just like a cheep space heater or hair dryer. Both of which are cheep ways to get the parts for a incubator. Or just be lazy like me an use the whole hair dryer.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You used to could get the diagrams online at gqf.com I think.

4. Cold Canadian

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    GQF doesn't seem to like it when we use there parts for anything else then there units ? what i'm looking for is a picture showing where they locate there heating sourse in there cabinet units ? Building a box is easy , putting in fans is easy ,humidity is easy but where to have the heating coils located to get the best even distribuation is a bit sticky ............I had thought of locating it on the bottom with the water tray on top of it to create a humid enviroment , with a fan blowing over this area I might get a even or uneven temperture fluctuation , to warm on the bottom and cooler on top ?? Any thoughts ?? or inside pictures on a sportsman box incubator showing how they do it ????

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Trying to get a pic sent from my phone. I'll post as soon as I get it.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Is this the heating system you need?

[​IMG]

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    x2. and put your water trey in front of it. just tall enough to fit just under the bootom of the fan so it doesnt interfere with air flow

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It has a top shelf of fake top that the heat an fan in above forcing air to circulate from back to front. My opinion, if your building your own case your better off moving it to the back an using a false back. That forces air from the top to the bottom an evens out heat better.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I hope this pic is what you needed. On a Sportsman what you are looking at is the top of the box. The shelf is where you set the water pan in front of it. Fan is behind the heating unit, thermostate located on the sidewall.

10. Cold Canadian

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks , I would have never thought of putting the coils in front of the fan .I am curious though to see what if I had the water pan on top of the coils and the heat from the coils would warm up the water and create the humidity when i need it for the final three days before the hatch days . Might have to alter my plans a bit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by