Sportsman Incubator Questions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 25, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I've looked all over and can't find any info.

I have finally hooked up the incubator in our basement. Approx 65* downstairs. 55% humidity in the incubator. The thermometer reads 2* over, so I have a reading of 96*.

The red light is flashing on the right side? I'm assuming it's a 1200 series? Not sure yet?

Any ideas why the light is flashing? What does it mean? Is something not working? It's been flashing for about 3 hours now?

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Its a proportional thermostat. It will flash and mst do a real good job of maintaining the temp

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm sorry, what does that mean? Is it supposed to flash? The temp still reads too low. I need to get a replacement thermostat key so I can reset the temperatures. It's not that cold in the basement and it doesn't fluctuate down there.

Top of the incubator reads 98* while the bottom reads 96*.

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Any ideas?

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    which thermostat is on it?

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have NO idea...I don't have an instruction manual or diagram. [​IMG]

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Go to the Randall Burkey website, they have all the instructions there. You will need to sign a disclaimer saying it is for personal use, don't let that bother you, it is a great site with everything you need. Wiring schematics, etc.

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Quote:Can you get a pic of it?

9. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    even better, I just sent you a pm. let me know!

If it has double thermostats you will need to set the back one first then set the main one

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have a picture of your sportsman? The first picture is an older picture before we changed the thermostat. The second picture is after we installed the digital thermostat.

If the light blinks most likely you have a digital thermostat. Mine originally had a wafer thermostat and the light would go on steady while heating but my husband changed it and put in a digital thermostat and now it blinks when heating. My knob turns clockwise to decrease the temperature and counter clockwise to increase the temperature. I turn it 1/4 turns until I get the temp close then fine tune it. The top of my incubator reads 99.5 degrees and the bottom 100 degrees. I have had many successful hatches in it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by