Sportsmans 1502 advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Squeekyclean, May 11, 2016.

1. Squeekyclean

Squeekyclean New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Hi, I'm a newbee who really appreciates this site!
    I am seriously contemplating buying the Sportsman 1502, I spoke to a distributor and was about to purchase, when he told me it would struggle to keep temp. if I kept it in our basement. He had asked if it was cold down there (old renovated farmhouse), and I replied, "a little."
    Where do people keep these, because my husband draws the line at having it in our actual living space, and I don't blame him! The other option is in our barn, which is a renovated century bank barn that is fairly weather proof.
    I am struggling with a Chinese incubator at the moment and it's driving us nuts, beeping all the time, never holds humidity and temp is v unreliable. It's cruel to try to hatch under those conditions.
    Thank you!
  2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    I keep mine in the guest bedroom, and it doubles as a night stand when not running. Sorry I'm not much help, I have heard other people say their's didn't do well when kept in a shed, garage, barn etc..... that was not temp controlled. I also have a friend who incubates in his basement and I don't think he has great hatch rates, his is an old renovated farmhouse as well, and you can't really do much with those basements.
  3. Squeekyclean

Squeekyclean New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Thanks for replying.
    I called the dealer again and we talked about how to make it work. I'll have to move my dehumidifier to a separate part of the basement and possibly cover it with blankets if the external temp. drops.
    I ordered it! Yeh!
    I've read so many reviews that say how their hatch rate improved dramatically with this machine. I truly hope so.
    Thanks again, God bless!
  4. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    If you are OK with the cost of a 1502, you might want to also consider a Dickey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by