1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spot any roosters in this bunch?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DomiHentrix, Oct 6, 2008.

1. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    It's soo hard to tell I have no idea!! They are pretty flighty and usually run away from me (unlike my barred rocks to run to me). Still I haven't spotted any significant comb development and they are 6-7 weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All hens? Or is there no way to tell with this breed (Cochin/silkie) until later?

Thanks in advance! Lara

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    looks like hens

-Daniel

3. player1

player1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    omg
    those chickens are so coool

they look awesome

looking at them id say all hens but when u said they have some silkie in them i may be wrong as silkies are impossible to sex...not impossible but real hard

4. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Very cool looking chickies!

5. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    ha I knew they were cochin silkie crosses. They look like hens to me, but who knows with silkies. Those birds are awesome, though. Pfft they are so cute.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I would vote all hens myself. I have some frizzled cochin/silkie X cochin chicks about the same age and the roos are pretty obvious, although one I thought was a roo might be a hen.

7. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Quote:Thanks ya'll!! I love them too. I hope that they are all hens, I almost got rid of them a few weeks back...they aren't too bright...even for a chicken. However once their colors started coming in I couldn't part with them, they are just too nice to look at!

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Silkies are notoriusly dumb birds. Most people have at least a couple fall into shallow water puddles or water buckets and die. They're just bad at life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by