1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

spot in egg?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicka boomboom, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Chicka boomboom

Chicka boomboom New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    S W Ohio
    Forgive me , wasn't sure where to ask this question. Can anyone direct me, or just tell me what is the small brown spot (thing) in the white of a brown egg? My young hens have been laying since sept. I only recently noticed a small brown thing inside the egg. Not all , just one of the three eggs I get per day. Have four hens and one Barred rock roo. My first time ever having chickens. I was feeding only cracked corn all summer. Many changes however; had to confine them in a run; then,of course, grass got all eaten up; began feeding a combination cracked corn and layer feed; got cooler out ... I am including a photo. The clothespin is for size ref.
    [​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

it looks like a meat spot, nothing to worry about. sometimes a hen's body glitches, or a piece of tissue is caught into the egg.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Chicka boomboom

Chicka boomboom New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    S W Ohio
    Thanks. I feel much better. I was kinda freaked out and dug it out with a spoon and we ate it anyway.Didn't see anything else wrong (lol ten second rule). After all , they are my own fresh brown eggs. :)

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

haha I understand, A lot of people wouldn't have even eaten the egg if they had not known what it is.

5. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    THATS ME...I DONT EAT BROWN EGGS...ITS A MENTAL THING....BUT IF I FIND THE TINIEST BLOOD SPOT IN AN EGG I DUMP IT OUT. EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY WILL EAT THE BROWN EGGS BUT I ALWAYS HAVE A CARTON OF WHITE IN THE FRIDGE FOR ME......CRAZY ISNT IT....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by