Spot is gone...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Laney, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    We lost spot today. I went out to collect eggs yesterday afternoon and found her in the nestbox laying an egg. I waited patiently and when she flew out of the nestbox my daughter noticed she was limping.

I picked her up easily, that in itself a sign she was in trouble. She had a huge chunk of skin missing from her back. You could see down to the muscle. I brought her inside to place her with another injured hen (dog attack). It looked like she had been injured for a while as there were signs of wound healing, she is a wandering hen, so my husband wouldn't have looked for her in the few days while I was busy at the state fair.

We gave her electrolyte solution and kept her warm while we discussed further treatment in the morning of injectable antibiotics and perhaps using glue to close her wounds. Unfortunately she didn't make it until morning. Upon examining her body after her death my husband says that was a blessing as there was more damage we didn't discover because we were trying not to put her into shock while examining her.

We're really upset. Spot was a sweet Mottled Java and we really loved her. We don't name all of our chickens, just the ones that show a really sparkling personality. She surly had one!

Laney

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry, Laney. [​IMG]

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    So sorry you lost Spot. [​IMG]

5. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Oh no. So sorry. We also have 2 mottled Javas and they are sweet, too. Ours are named Jenny and Flash. Oh my, so sad to lose a sweet Java! [​IMG]

6. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I know what it is like to lose a favorite chicken. I am very sorry.

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    My greatest sympathies for losing your friend. [​IMG]

8. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    You had an amazing girl; you found her laying an egg, even though she was mortally wounded. I'm so sorry you lost her. [​IMG]

9. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I am so sorry. I have always liked Javas.

Do you know what happened to her?

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I wish Spot had been kept safe (protected adequately) from whatever was able to attack her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by