Spot on chicken

Lbean523

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
Franklin, KY
This could just be dirt, but wanted to post on here and get your ideas about the black spot on my girl...

Attachments

• 08CE93C1-3FB1-48F0-9B3D-216C102D8756.jpeg
    08CE93C1-3FB1-48F0-9B3D-216C102D8756.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 9
This could just be dirt, but wanted to post on here and get your ideas about the black spot on my girl...
Could it be a frostbite spot. Put a small amount of Vaseline on it get the vaseline melted by your fingers so you don't injure the area any more. Has it been cold there in KY? Do you have good ventilation in your coop. One way to tell is to check your walls inside if they have frost on them then you need more ventilation high up. Birds don't sweat so they get wet in a humid environment. they are warm blooded (106 F) poop makes for humidity and breathing. So check your coop. Dry bird are your goal.

I agree that it looks like a peck wound. Keep an eye on the others in case similar lesions appear. If so, I would assume fowl pox.

Could it be a frostbite spot. Put a small amount of Vaseline on it get the vaseline melted by your fingers so you don't injure the area any more. Has it been cold there in KY? Do you have good ventilation in your coop. One way to tell is to check your walls inside if they have frost on them then you need more ventilation high up. Birds don't sweat so they get wet in a humid environment. they are warm blooded (106 F) poop makes for humidity and breathing. So check your coop. Dry bird are your goal.
The lowest here has been in the upper 20s. At what temp do I need to Vaseline them to prevent frostbite?
Also, I’ve never noticed frost inside the coop. The roof has some overhang to allow ventilation at the top..,

Back
Top Bottom