spot on rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickener, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chickener

chickener In the Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    there is a spot about 2 cm high on my rir rooster locted just below the tail
    anybody have any idea of what it could be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rafa

Rafa In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    I'm so pleased you have put this post on as I have been searching this site for the same answer! My year old hen has also got one in the same place and keeps pecking at it. She has been sat on the nest for 26 days so I presumed it was something to do with being broody, but obviously not. Hope someone can answer us both please

3. chickener

chickener In the Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    well lets hope someone can help

4. Rafa

Rafa In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Anyone Please!!!!!!

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet 9 Years

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Its probably the oil gland. the bird will peck it to spread oil over her beak and then to her feathers. hope this helps!

6. chickener

chickener In the Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Tanichca thanks for the reply
    checked the other hens and couldnt see this spot on any of them, could it be only roosters and broodys get them?

7. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    My Red Stars have these spots also. I also think that most of my other ones have it also. I freaked out the first time I saw it on a girl, then I saw it on most of the girls so then I was not as worried when I saw it on more than one. To be honest I am not sure if my 2 boys have them or not. Can't pick up and hold them like my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: