spot the fake??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Jan 17, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    picked up 2 supposed araucanas today (but i feel these are too big to be pure so must be crossed with something)

both laid an egg today...one blue, one white!

so who's the fake? will i be able to tell without splitting them up? they both have a whitish earlobe with a sort of shimmery blue sheen to them..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

please note - i am from belgium and we have different standards for araucanas than in other parts of the world [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    There is a Reason Easter Eggers are called Easter eggers is because they can lay All colors of eggs [​IMG] So, She's not nesassarily a fake, just an EE that lays white eggs... As for telling, You'd have to split them up to see which lays what eggs...

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The "fake" is the one with the upright tail on the right. She's got an almost single looking comb, while the other has a very definite pea comb, she's got smaller muffs, she has a much lesser quality of a BBR/Duckwing color, possibly not even full duckwing, and her earlobes look much bigger and whiter than the other.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The OP is from Belgium. Much different standards. The bird on the left is likely NOT an Easter Egger. [​IMG]

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:The OP is from Belgium. Much different standards. The bird on the left is likely NOT an Easter Egger. [​IMG]

A Friend from Sweden Breeds EEs silly pants [​IMG]

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:we dont have EE's here in belgium, all chickens that lay blue/green eggs (or carry the gene) are classed as araucanas(!) they could have muffs, tufts, tails or no tails...itd still be classed as araucana here [​IMG] (which is a shame as i love EE's and would love to call them ee's, but no, they are araucanas)

illia, thank you for your input.... [​IMG]

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium

A Friend from Sweden Breeds EEs silly pants [​IMG]

sweden is not belgium silly pants [​IMG]

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Neither of them are Araucanas. Araucanas don't have beards and muffs, they have ear tufts. Araucanas are, ideally, rumpless (tailless). What you have are two lovely Easter Egger hens. EEs are often advertised as Araucanas or Ameraucanas but are actually a cross that lays usually a green or bluish egg but can lay any color. EEs come in a wide variety of and normally have beards, muffs, and greenish legs. They are good egg layers. Enjoy them.

ETA... sorry didn't see where you were located.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Again, [​IMG] The OP is from Belgium!

Europe has different standards from us. You'd think an Araucana BREEDER here would point that out earlier. [​IMG]

10. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    *gives up trying to explain we dont have EE's here*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by