1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spots in brown eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoHens, May 30, 2008.

1. TwoHens

TwoHens New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Hello!

We just got two laying hens last weekend. Both are laying brown eggs, one every day and the other sporadically. When I cracked two eggs today I noticed that there were some very tiny brown specks around the yolk and in the albumen. They don't look like blood spots that I have seen in white eggs from the grocery store in the past: just 2 or 3 tiny little brown bits.

Does anyone know if this is normal for brown eggs?

Thanks!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Where those two laying hens with a rooster by chance?

3. TwoHens

TwoHens New Egg

May 30, 2008
    Nope. No rooster, so it's not a fertilization issue.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I know what it is you're talking about, we get them on occasion, never worried about them, ate them anyway.

5. kpg115

kpg115 New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    My Rhode Island Reds' eggs sometimes have those tiny brown specks - they're like the size of a pin head, usually just one speck per egg when there's a speck. We just eat them anyways.

6. sharielynn

sharielynn New Egg

Apr 23, 2012
    There were a lot of specks (not bloodspots) that were brown in eggs we got from a farm. Some of the eggs were brown and some of them were white. I just pulled the specks out with a spoon and then cooked them and ate them to. However, when I got the chance, I talked to my mom. (who grew up on a farm, and them raised chickens herself) Mom has had some severe strokes, and sometimes she still knows what she's talking about--and sometimes she don't.. She said those '''spots" are usually parasites that the chicken has. (That kind of made me feel blah.)

I hate to go on her word alone and throw the eggs away. If they are parasites, there could be stuff we can't see with the naked eye.

7. I believe the only "parasites" passed to an egg would be certain types of worms. The small specks you see could in fact be a segment of a nematode.

Ruling out that they were fertile and reached a temp of 80 before refrigeration (which could result in the start of development)

Treat with ivermectin pour-on (1/2 CC applied to skin between shoulders) and repeat in 10 days. Or you can treat with Valbazen orally (see my coop page)

8. sharielynn

sharielynn New Egg

Apr 23, 2012
    Thank you for the info, our whole family eats eggs from this farm. I will pass this information on.

9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by