1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spots in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Slotred, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    About a quarter of my eggs have either tiny brown spots or little red blood spots or vein-like strings in them. Any ideas about how to deal with that? My girls (black australorps) are doing fine, and I get at least 3 eggs per day, but my wife is grossed out by the spots.
    Thanks

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Without seeing them I would say you are looking at just the pigment the hen applies to the egg. Sometimes the "ink jets" sputter causeing the spots. If they don't wash off with ease, that is what it is.

3. dltc96

dltc96 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Colorado
    It sounds like they might be meat spots. We had some australorps with the same issue. After plenty of research (here) we ate the eggs as long as the spots were not too big. Usually, after you cook them, you will not notice the spot. If you do, it is very easy to just pick it out at that point. Where did you get your birds? I have heard that it can be genetic.

The streaks I am not sure about. I probably would not eat those, but maybe someone else has a better idea of what that is. Enjoy your eggs!

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My glasses must be acting up. I read "on" them. The red spots are blood spots, happens when there is a leak when the egg starts forming. Don't know if there is a way to stop them from happening. The vein-like white stringy things are part of every egg. Its called the chalaze. They keep the yoke centered in the egg. In older eggs they become thinner.

5. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    My chicks came from Ideal Poultry in Texas. Beautiful black australorps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by