Spots in my eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newTexan2chickens, Jul 27, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    Can someone tell me what the brown spots are in my eggs around the yolk? Some of the eggs have more than others. Some have none at all. Yuck~ I want really pretty clear eggs when you crack them!

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Can you post a picture?

3. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chirping

Jun 15, 2010
    sorry... ate it last night... but I cracked 2 eggs last night and 1 had 1 brown floaty in the white and the other had brown specks on the yolk... several small specks. I am not dead so I guess it was okay but sure would like to know what it is. Could possibly have been blood spots?

4. lauriruth

lauriruth Songster

I had the same thing in one of mine last weekend! not to worry. here's what it probably is.

Blood spots

Description
    Blood spots vary from barely distinguishable spots on the surface of the yolk to heavy blood contamination throughout the yolk. Occasionally blood may be diffused through the albumen or white of the egg.

Meat spots

Description
    Most meat spots are pieces of tissue from body organs, but some may be partially broken-down blood spots. They are usually brown in colour, and found in the thick albumen, chalazae, or the yolk. They range in size from 0.5 mm to more than 3 mm in diameter.
    Incidence
    The incidence of meat spots ranges from less than 3% to 30% or more. It varies with the strain of bird, increases with the age of bird and may be higher in brown eggs. Many meat spots are too small to be detected by candling, especially in brown eggs. Less than 1% of eggs are usually downgraded because of meat spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by