Spots on Comb, pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iconracr, Mar 7, 2017.

1. iconracr

iconracr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    Hello,

Please HELP! New to chickens.

Noticed today one of my 10 month old chickens has spots on her comb. It happened very quickly. She is always hidding. And I had thought she was hidding with eggs. My flock is minus one egg everyday. Finally found her today when offering treats, black oil sunflower seeds. I also noticed one very small spot on another chicken. The other 4 older chicken are fine. What is it, what can I do? I don't have Drs available in my local area for livestock. Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to find a dr in another community?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is dry fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes in hot weather. If you disturb the scabs, it can spread. Some use betadine to help dry up scabs, but there is no treatment. It will last for several weeks. A more serious type is wet pox, where yellow lesions appear inside the beak, throat, and airway. It can be deadly if they stop eating from pain. Look inside the beaks and throats of any who appear very sick. If you see any scabs on eyelids, then I would apply some Terramycin eye ointment twice a day inside the eyes. It is found in feedstores, but you have to ask for it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by